Wednesday, July 15, 2009

There’s More Than One Way To Scan A Cat


That’s what my father said after I mentioned that I had microchips implanted in my cats. When I posted on Facebook that I’d had this done, the responses were: “Feline Borgs” and “Are they spies?” (My reply: “I can’t say”.)

I’ve written here before about my struggle about whether to allow my cats to be indoor/outdoor cats. Well, I’m still struggling. While Johnny wears his collar like a gentleman, Charlie refuses to wear his. He is the Houdini of feline borgs, and manages to extract all 16 pounds of himself from any kind of collar, every time. So I got the chip. But it migrated. Or at least that’s what I thought, a few days later, as I was petting him and noticed a bump on his haunch—it felt like a grain of rice, just under the skin. I looked up the details of the microchip, and that is exactly how it is described. The company I used claims to have developed a special non-migrating chip. I waited a few more days, and it was still there, so off to the vet we went. The vet tech (whom I adore big time) took Charlie in the back, then called me in shortly after.

“He’s fine,” he said. “See? He scans just fine.” And with that, he took a large scan gun and beamed it at Charlie’s shoulder scruff, and 14 digit code immediately popped up on the scan gun. I showed him where I felt the alleged migratory chip, and he felt it, paused, and told me that’s where they did the feline leukemia booster shot. Normally they do that shot in the shoulder, but since the cats were getting the microchip that day (injected subcutaneously), they got the booster in the haunch instead.

Mystery solved, cat scans just fine. Now explain this: since getting the microchip, Charlie’s been wearing his collar non-stop.

For more info on the Home Again microchip and to help lost pets in your area, check out: www.homeagain.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers